[mR] Forums
My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - Printable Version

+- [mR] Forums (https://mikes-revenge.net)
+-- Forum: Revenge Forums (https://mikes-revenge.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://mikes-revenge.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+---- Forum: General Chat (https://mikes-revenge.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Thread: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) (/showthread.php?tid=3112)

Pages: 1 2 3

My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - Paperthintelevision - 10-26-2013

Well, I ended up getting the PC fully constructed. Have yet to do the OS install and then the big migration of files from old HDD to new.
So here you go folks; my new PC rig I built just under $2,000.

Corsair H80i Water Coolant
Asus Z87-Pro Motherboard
Razer Deathadder Mouse 4G
Razer Black Widow Mechanical Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 2133MHz DRAM
Samsung 250GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
Intel Core i7-4770k (3.5GHz & 8MB cache)
GeForce GTX 760 (OC edition) msi
Corsair AX860W Power Supply
Corsair SP2500 Gaming 2.1 Speakers
Corsair 400r Carbide Series mid-tower chassis
Razer Goliathus Alpha Large (444mm x 355mm x 4.3mm) or (17.48" x 13.98" x 0.17")

I chose Corsair predominantly because they simply have the best warranty and return policy out there.

Come at me, Bro. I'm ready...

Here are some pics of my build. More to come!

Click Photo To Enlarge

Click Photo To Enlarge

Click Photo To Enlarge

Click Photo To Enlarge

P.S. any tips or suggestions or even some criticism is most welcome! I will post some more updates/pics once I figure out everything is working in ship shape and setup.

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - craigpd - 10-26-2013

Would have been better of with a Noctua DH-14. Great air cooler, far better than a H80i.
GPU is something I would expect to see in a $1200 build.
HDD, I wouldn't store anything inportant..2TB HDD's die often enough. I shudder to think how long that HDD will last before dying. (3 Platters, 3x the failure rate essentially)
SSD. Would have been better off with a 240Pro, known to be very reliable, haven't heard too much about the one you have chosen, but what I have heard places it behind the 240Pro in terms of reliability and read/write.
Cable management is horrible. Fix dat shit.
Motherboard. Great choice.
CPU. I would say overkill. i5-4670k would have been a better choice IMO.
Those speakers are shit-tier. You would have been well off with some decent Music-headphones, seen as you do produce music on the side. If you are going to get some headphones, then grab some Audio Technica ATH-M50's..Fantastic headphones, well worth the price.
I won't even go into the mouse and keyboard.
Razer make cases?..this can only end badly.
PSU is great.
RAM, no need for 2133Mhz, unless you have an APU there is no noticeable difference between 1066 ana 2133.

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - Oink_mR - 10-26-2013

Personally I'd get 128GB of SSD storage instead of 256, then put that extra money towards a GTX 770 or even better, a 780

And as craig says there really is no excuse for bad cable management nowadays, unless your case is very old

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - Paperthintelevision - 10-26-2013

(10-26-2013, 05:10 AM)craigpd Wrote: Would have been better of with a Noctua DH-14. Great air cooler, far better than a H80i.
GPU is something I would expect to see in a $1200 build.
HDD, I wouldn't store anything inportant..2TB HDD's die often enough. I shudder to think how long that HDD will last before dying. (3 Platters, 3x the failure rate essentially)
SSD. Would have been better off with a 240Pro, known to be very reliable, haven't heard too much about the one you have chosen, but what I have heard places it behind the 240Pro in terms of reliability and read/write.
Cable management is horrible. Fix dat shit.
Motherboard. Great choice.
CPU. I would say overkill. i5-4670k would have been a better choice IMO.
Those speakers are shit-tier. You would have been well off with some decent Music-headphones, seen as you do produce music on the side. If you are going to get some headphones, then grab some Audio Technica ATH-M50's..Fantastic headphones, well worth the price.
I won't even go into the mouse and keyboard.
Razer make cases?..this can only end badly.
PSU is great.
RAM, no need for 2133Mhz, unless you have an APU there is no noticeable difference between 1066 ana 2133.

That's a Razer mousepad not a case, my case is a Corsair Modular 400r. I like my razer keyboard and mouse man, they're great! It's mechanical. It lights in the dark so I don't have to have a light on in my room and has some macro keys.

I haven't tried the speakers yet. But I wasn't looking to get the most amazing 2.1 setup out there, I don't like Altec Lansing (had bad bad experiences with them), and I also have a recording studio with some really good studio monitors as well as various pairs of studio headphones so I'm not concerned about that. Those studio headphones look nice and have great reviews but they're kinda shady on the details about material and construction. I absolutely fucking HATE using headphones while on the computer doing anything. I wanted a big sub for gaming in my room, so I went with this, it's huge. If I ever felt like it, I could just hook up my comp to my studio, I'm not worried about this issue, I also read up on these speakers and have noted the problems therein.

I'm aware of the HDD situation regarding high capacity HDD's. I have a lot of alternative backups of my shit so I'm also not worried about this. This is because I work with RAW .wav and .flac recordings and that if they ended up lost or damaged, I would tear my fucking hair out. If the 3TB HDD goes kaputt then I will buy 3 1TB HDD's (money will not be an issue for me in a month or two). I also bought the same flash drive that my friends own and they never reported anything off about it, so I went for it.

I changed from a few GPU's. Honestly...why do I need a 770 or 780 for?... like what? 5% more performance than the previous version? fuck that. maybe I'll just buy another one. Or a titan and go sli. I'm running on 1080 monitor with 60hz, I don't see the point in getting the latest GFX card when this one is perfectly suitable for my gaming needs.

the motherboard is good, un-freaking believable capabilities.

the CPU is overkill, I will admit. But I honestly don't give a fuck. Money is not a big prob for me.

I think that was the only speed offered for the vengeance series ram on the website I ordered it from. My friend said the same thing, too.

The power supply is good. It was of the few that really had some great safety features (platinum atw)

My friend also said that I should have gotten the Noctua. Maybe I'll get one, idfk!

I will probably only be overclocking for certain things, if not at all. heat is an issue in the summer because we don't use air conditioning so I may not even want to run it some days because it will heat up my room significantly. But in the Winter, I'm hoping this thing will heat my room, because we also use a wood stove for heating my whole house which doesn't do much justice if there's no one tending the fire every 20 minutes, depending on what type of wood we use.

the computer was not completely organized when I took those pictures and I wasn't expecting you guys to comment on that yet... The case is modular so hiding all those cables will be no problem. Being a very organized person, I can see myself spending at least 1-2 hours getting it right SO QUIT YOUR BITCHIN'!

Like I said, money is not a problem. I make 13K a month, this was just a little project of mine for a year or so.

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - Oink_mR - 10-26-2013

http://www.hwcompare.com/14796/geforce-gtx-760-vs-geforce-gtx-780/

The 780 wrecks the 760. WAAAAY more than just a 7% performance difference. SLI for the most part is garbage and buggy, go with a single GPU whenever possible. If you apparently have all that money I find it strange that you're going with a lower tier graphics card; the GPU is the most important aspect of a gaming PC

No offense but it sounds like you are just randomly spending money for this PC

it was a 2000$ budget. And I said it was a little project. How do you randomly spend money on a computer? I'm not sure what you mean? Gaming is not my main focus on this computer (even though a lot of the hardware is meant for it) and like I said I was looking at other GPU's in which some were 3GB, but chose the former. Like I said, AGAIN, my monitor is 60hz...every other monitor that is higher still encodes at 60hz. That means you will still see 60FPS. plus, if I was going to go for 4K (which is the latest high end resolution I think) I would have to enable v-sync in EVERYTHING and I guarantee you I would experience some really nasty tearing. PLUS. I would rather spend that 300 extra dollars on a night out in niagara falls with my good buddies than invest in a graphics card which I could pickup in 2 years or so for the same price as the one I have now. I like to socialize a lot more than I like to game anyways. I'm sure this one will last a while (significantly less power consumption than the latter). In my eyes: it's not worth an extra 2-3 FPS.

I know there are some unnecessary parts in this bitch, but to me, randomly spending money would be purchasing the 780 for a mild, unnoticeable -- or noticeable blemishes! -- improvement. Get real!

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - craigpd - 10-26-2013

A 760 to a 780 is anything but a "mild" increase in performance.
It's like comparing a 660ti to a 680..

Why is SLI buggy anyways? doesn't make sense to me.

10-20 frames more for 300$ extra? It makes absolutely no sense to me. anything beyond 60FPS is really redundant in my own eyes. There is literally no need for more frames than that. Your eyes can see more than 60FPS, but it is not even noticeable. It's obvious that the power of the 760 is that less of the 780 because the 780 uses 250W... which is a 50% increase from the 170W 760

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McMuS67wNwk and tell me what NOTICEABLE differences you see because
Click Photo To Enlarge

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - southwarrior - 10-27-2013

(10-26-2013, 09:46 AM)Oink_mR Wrote: http://www.hwcompare.com/14796/geforce-gtx-760-vs-geforce-gtx-780/

The 780 wrecks the 760. WAAAAY more than just a 7% performance difference. SLI for the most part is garbage and buggy, go with a single GPU whenever possible. If you apparently have all that money I find it strange that you're going with a lower tier graphics card; the GPU is the most important aspect of a gaming PC

No offense but it sounds like you are just randomly spending money for this PC

Oink I agree for 2000 bucks you surely can get better than a 760. I have an amd build im saving up for for around 1500 and theres a 780 budgeted in that. Gskill snipers 2133's 8gb, corsair c70, corsiar hx750m, amd fx-8320, h100i, corsair neutron 120gb ssd, and gigabyte 990fx-ud5 motherboard.

Getting a better gpu will let you crank the settings up higher and maintain fps at those settings. Even with a more powerful gpu you can run triple monitor setups if you have enough vram which 3 gigs is usually plenty

RE: My new PC build (2000$ budget!) - craigpd - 10-27-2013

Multiple Monitor gaming is not set in stone at 3GB GDDR5. It's more down to resolution. Usually 3x1080p calls for 3GB, 3x1440p 4-6GB.